My fall work schedule is VERY hectic. In an attempt to focus and "be where I am" (recent advice about handling the work/home life balance), I have not been on the computer in the evenings. You see, I have a tendency to be a workaholic. If the computer is on for fun things like checking blogs or blogging, I can't help myself. I check emails. I follow up on topics or revise documents. I just.can't.help.it. I've been trying not to answer emails when Maggie is dressing up with her princess outfits or take business calls during our morning drives to work. I'd much rather be singing her current favorite song, "I've Been Working on the Railroad." Am I always successful? Sadly, no. But, I am TRYING. I'm at least making a conscious effort.
Of course, that has meant that you, my kind supportive readers, have been neglected. I came to blog once or twice, but I didn't get further than an uncreative title to the post. It isn't like I haven't had things to blog about. Here are a few topics I could have chosen from:
- The amazingly well executed and successful 5K. We are still tabulating our final numbers for revenue, but I can confidently tell you it was our most successful to date. By a landslide.
- My emotional state for Allie Day. I did well, I promise. Thanks to some of the best family members I could possibly ask for and the kindest, most considerate group of friends on the planet. Even including a beautiful (and DELICIOUS) cake with the inscription of "We Love Allie" during our big party that night.
- Maggie's very scary allergic reaction to fire ant bites that sent us to the ER Wednesday night. Swelling, hives, vomiting, wheezing. Our first ER visit and it was awful. You know how I said I held it together for Allie's anniversary? Yeah, well, I lost it Wednesday night going through that. Especially after she asked me, "I got sick like Allie?" Did your stomach drop reading that like mine did hearing those words come out of my baby? I knew it was coming at some point, but hearing those words really threw me for a loop.
- Maggie's allergy testing. It didn't happen Thursday as anticipated because of her high doses of benadryl from the night before. You have to be off antihistamines for a week (complete hell in my home given that Maggie can't sleep without Zrytec--screams in her sleep). With the knowledge that she is now allergic to fire ants (and shellfish, and the allergist now believes she has asthma as well), we have been told we have to begin twice weekly allergy shots. We are definitely not looking forward to those! For now, we have a decent supply of Epi-pens everywhere Maggie loves--school, home, GaGa's house.
- Heroes for Children. I think I could do blog post after blog post on HFC alone. Things are going SO well. Have you seen our new blog look? I love it!
- My growing baby fever and Andrew's lack thereof. Would you believe it? I actually have baby fever. Yes, me. The same girl who told you all less than six months ago that I had no desire for another anytime soon. It all changed this summer after our lakehouse trip and the fever has been growing and growing ever since. Andrew on the other hand? Not so much. We're at an impass. It's one of the first times in our marriage that we haven't been on the same page about a big decision like this. Unfortunately for my baby fever, Andrew's feelings are currently winning and there is no baby in our horizon at this time. He knows my position, I know his. We'll see what happens.
- A Brandy update. My sweet girl is looking so great! Her leg is healing well, and she is getting around the house better and better. She is still confined when we aren't home, but she is getting so much better.
- My cooking disaster. Have you ever made homemade chocolate chip cookies and forgotten the sugar? Yep, I did. They were so gross! Maggie and I sure had fun making them though! Andrew is still chuckling over that one. He didn't marry a very domestic woman now did he?
So, you see, I've had things on my mind to share with you. I just haven't shared those things. Not because I didn't want to open up. More because I didn't want to open my laptop! I think I am going to close now since I've allowed the TV to be the babysitter during this blogging time, and have some playtime with Maggie (not in our backyard until the exterminator comes!!). I leave you with some recent pictures of my little, almost three year old diva...
Showing off her moves!