Monday, June 9, 2008

When all else fails, eat ice cream!

Maggie has been so excited for her swim class to start today. Girlfriend is an absolute fish! She loves being in the water and looks forward to any chance to swim she gets. All day, she's been telling her teacher and friends at school about going to swim lessons. There she was waiting and ready in her swimsuit when I pulled up early to pick her up and head to the Y. As we drove through Plano, it was drizzling just a bit. By the time we pulled in, there was a slight monsoon going on in the parking lot. Umbrella? Me? Nope, didn't have one. So out we ran getting SOAKING wet into the building, giggling the whole way. Soaked to the bone, we ran into the bathroom to get dressed for our very!first!swim!class!!!! Maggie couldn't contain her excitement--jumping all over the bathroom and hysterically giggling.



So, it was a real bummer when some pimply teenager told us that the pool was closed due to the thunder and lightning outside (this of course after we were all ready in our swimsuits). Because, you know, they have to close an indoor pool for inclement weather. Explain THAT to a two year old.



So out we ran back in the rain with Maggie playing "Ick-a-boo" under the towel to attempt to stay dry. She didn't cry--my little trooper. She was giddy as could be. I decided to pull into the closest Chick Fil-A for Maggie's favorite dinner. Since it was still pouring, we just went through the drive through (with her exclaiming "Chicka Flay!! Chicka Flay!!") and let her eat in the car.



As we were getting closer to home, I got the idea to head to Braum's for a little treat. Maggie and I were still in our swimsuits and wet (though NOT from swimming, of course), so we weren't going in. So, we parked. I let her out of her carseat up to the front seat with me. For thirty minutes, we ate our ice cream, sang silly songs, laughed until it hurt. My little girl was so silly!



When I look back on my life and the happy moments I've had, those thirty minutes will most definitely come to mind. I love my daughter and enjoy her thoroughly each and every day. But there was something different about tonight's ice cream adventure. I've never had so much fun with her. It was perfect. She hugged me incessantly and I showered her with kisses. Oh, my darling girl.



The rest of the night could not have been more perfect. We came home and played Wiggles games on the computer, built houses out of Leggos, and hide under the covers to hide from Daddy. It ended with nighttime stories and snuggles before she went to bed like a perfect little lady.



It was an ordinary Monday that turned into an extraordinary evening for me. With a perfect little two year old.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

You should have titled this post- "Silver Linings"! I love these moments when our little ones remind us that life is made up of the extrordinary ordinary...

El Jefe said...

I have been reading your posts forever. I just had to post because I too love and live for these moments. I have a 4 and 18 month old and perfect days are few and far between. Thanks for sharing your perfect day. As for a question for your Q&A section - What is your worst mommy moment?

Dee
Washington

Anonymous said...

Love that you were able to still have a fun evening!

It's standard to close an indoor pool in a storm. The water is a conduit for the lightening, whether inside or outside. It's why you are not supposed to take a shower or bath during lightening, either.

Of course, despite this, they still made us practice even when it was lightening. Who cares if you fry if you are supposed to get in your 10,000 yards? :)

Susan P said...

Minivan mom- - That is good to know about pool and showers during a lighting storm. I HAD NO IDEA! That is crazy, but you learn something new everyday.
Jenny- - Love the post! I had to smile at the part about eating ice cream for 30 minutes in the front seat. So sweet!!

Lyndsay said...

I LOVE days like that!! My 3-year old daughter and I had one of those days this weekend - I painted her toenails, we went shopping... just ordinary things, but I really had FUN 'hanging out' with her!
Thanks for the PSA about lightening and indoor pools - I had no idea either!

Kelly said...

LOVE this post! Sounds like you guys had a wonderful day!! It just goes to show you that sometimes the best memories aren't planned out and a fun memory can consist of the most simple things.

♥Kelly♥ said...

What a wonderful night together! These times are so much fun, Maggie is at a great age and she sounds just precious!

Adrianne said...

Oh how opposite my day was yesterday! In Mansfield we just had a slight rain so we had swimming lessons and I had "that" screaming kid who refused to do anything the teacher asked! Everything on Cole's time. That is how our life goes!

I am so glad you had such a wonderful time with Maggie!!

Rich Robinson said...

Great post Jenny. Reminds me that I need to try to have a little more fun with the kiddos.

Spence Ohana said...

This post made my heart smile. Love those type of moments with my kids too! Bummers about the first swim class!

Mama of 2 P's in a Pod said...

What a great memory for the both of you! I love moments like these!!!

Courtney said...

jenny!! this is my first time to stumble upon your blog. so excited. i will be sure to add you. i am so glad that you guys made it out to the pool party the other day. it was great to see you!

Amy said...

I loved reading about your fun time with Maggie. The best things in life are the unexpected sometimes. I love hearing those deep down giggles from my little girl too.

Anonymous said...

So glad you had fun despite the pool being closed. I've never heard of indoor pools being closed in storms...Ice cream & lots of laughs was probably just as fun!

rockin_mom said...

Thanks for once again reminding me to ignore the little messes and just enjoy the kiddos! I needed that after my three yr old took rice from the kitchen and made it look like I held a wedding in my living room! = )

Bionic Woman said...

Those are my favorite kind of days!