Monday, November 26, 2007

My poor baby!


When did my baby get to looking so old? Where did this gray around her face come from? Wasn't she just that little puppy we brought home to our one bedroom apartment?



It's a known fact in my house that Brandy is MY baby. She is my lovey girl and my sweet dog. So, it is no surprise that I would be sad when my baby is hurting. And she is.



For the past month, Brandy has been limping bad. Her back left leg has not touched the ground in weeks. The vet gave us arithitis medicine to try. Nothing. After calling back last week, they gave us pain pills and scheduled an appointment for today to put her under and examine her. Large dogs are difficult to examine because they tense so much that the vet can't really see what's going on without sedation.



"Bee Bee" has a severely torn ligament in her leg. Basically, every time she puts weight on the floor, her knee is completely popping out of place. OUCH!!! The solution? We have a recommendation to visit a surgeon to discuss our options for fixing this. Without surgery, she will limp the rest of her life. She's only 6! I don't want to see her limp for years to come! The surgery is really expensive, but for our family, necessary. Like I said, she's my baby. So she's worth it.



My poor baby!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pets are like family. I completely understand. I have a chihuahua, and when we got her fixed I had a hard time because she was getting major surgery.

I hope Brandy feels better soon. I feel bad that the surgery is expensive. Is it too late to get dog insurance?

Brandy

The Nanny said...

Thinking of sweet Brandy & her mama too!

Mimi said...

Oh poor baby....we have two dogs and I always say they own the house and pay no bills.....I'm with you I love them...(both of our children are raised and gone) give brandy a big kiss from me....you OTHER baby is soooo cute love the pictures.....they grow sooo fast, my granddaugher will be 2 in February, so glad to here your little one is potty trained..I think ours will be easy so many people wait until they are 3 to 3 1/2, I also think little girls are eaiser....

Debbie said...

So worth it! I agree 100%.

She has such a sweet face. I hope she will feel better soon!

Good Luck!

One crazed mommy said...

Oh poor baby! I understand completely when you say it's necessary. We had a golden retriever for 12 1/2 years, and I can't tell you how much we spent on him at the vets, especially during the latter years. But every penny was well worth it. There is a certain magic about Golden's that other dogs just don't have (don't get me wrong - I love them all!!!) I miss our sweet boy, Brandon, dearly and my hubby is talking about getting a new one soon. We have 3 cats as well, and 2 of them were in complete and total mourning for weeks after Brandon was gone. :( Hopefully she gets better soon - big hugs to you all!!!

Debbie said...

My 13-year-old dog has pain and arthritis from ligament damage when she was a puppy. One thing I find very helpful to her is yucca extract. I put a few drops in her food each morning. It's like a natural albuterol--for pain management. You can find it online and some natural vets carry it. Good luck with the surgery!

Aimee said...

Its a known problem with the retriever breed, it will probably happen to her other back leg as well. Surgery isn't cheap, but when your pets are "kids", you treat them like you would your kids.
Good luck!

Dana said...

Awwww, poor Brandy. I completely understand. I have spent so much on my dogs to make them comfortable when hurt it's unreal! Currently, my baby (one of my 2 and a foster) has 8 staples and I have to ice it and heat it. My first dog bit her :-(

Anyway, I digress. I hope Brandy feels better soon! Poor baby!

Erika said...

My IL's golden retreiver had the exact same problem.....3 times. Each time they paid for the surgery and then she was like new. (Until she did it again - she was a bit of a crazy dog. She only did it once on one leg and twice on the other.) They even did swim therapy with her afterwards to help the healing and it really helped her. I hope it helps your puppy too - it's very difficult to see your beloved pet in pain.

K. Saucier said...

hi mme scott, this is kathryn saucier. you may not remember me, but i had you for french quite a long time ago. im at a&m now, studying animal science. i hope to be a veterinarian one day. maybe dogs, but hopefully the zoo (apes would be my first choice). i worked with the dallas veterinary surgical center this past year. i dont know if thats where your vet sent brandy, but it's the only surgical center i know of near by. for what it's worth, the dvsc vets are the best of the best. they'll do a good job. i know it costs a lot, but shes the bandy-puppy, shes worth it.